From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
MID LAVANT is an irregularly shaped parish, 2 miles north-west from Chichester, in the Western division of the county, Westbourne hundred, West Hampnett union, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Boxgrove. The church is a small plain stone building, and has a nave, chancel, and north aisle. The register commences in 1567. The living is a perpetual curacy, yearly value £50, in the gift of the Duke of Richmond, and held by the Rev. Walter Hook, B.A. The Duke of Richmond is the sole landowner. The area is 350 acres, principally arable; the population in 1861 was 257.
Parish Clerk, George Ware.
Letters arrive at 7.35 a.m.; dispatched at 7.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Chichester
Ayling Thomas, beer retailer
Challen Thomas, boot maker
Haines Sandon, farmer
Irish William, bricklayer
Miles William, shoemaker
Mitchell John, carpenter
Parsons George, miller
Sadler Henry Edmund, farmer, Langford
Shepherd Isaac, Earl March's Arms
Ware George, wheelwright