From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
LINCH (or LYNCH) is a parish, 5 miles north-west from Midhurst, in the Western division of the county, Easebourne hundred, Midhurst union, county court district and rural deanery, Chichester rape, diocese, and archdeaconry. In the 'Domesday Survey' it is written Lince, and is returned as having been 'held of the Confessor by one Ulric; it subsequently became the property of Viscount Montague, afterwards of W. S. Poyntz, esq., and is now held by the Earl of Egmont. The present church (name unknown) was built about the year 1700, and is a stone structure, entirely plain and unornamented, with the exception of a small stained glass east window, of a date much anterior to the building itself, and representing the Ascension and the Descent from the Cross; it is of old and curious workmanship. The register commences in 1701. The living is a rectory, yearly value about £80, in the gift of the Earl of Egmont, and held by the Rev. Robert Cooke Bull, M.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The area is 1,220 acres, chiefly waste or woodland, and the population in 1861 was 111, assessed at £615.
Parish Clerk, William Bridger.
Letters through Midhurst, which is the nearest money order office
Barlow Frederick Pratt, esq. Hollycombe house
Eames James, farmer, Linch farm
Hall James, farmer