From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
KINGSTON-BY-SEA is a parish, 56 miles south from London, one mile east from Shoreham, on the South Coast Railway, the Western division of the county, hundred of Fishergate, rape of Bramber, Steyning union, Brighton county court district, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes. The church (name not known) was built about the thirteenth century, but has undergone entire renovation. The living is a rectory, value £280, with residence, in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held by the Rev. Charles Townsend, M.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Kingston House is the seat of William Pennington Gorringe, Esq., lord of the manor and owner of the whole parish. Kingston has become a place of considerable trade, being the principal station on the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway for goods and merchandise landed at Kingston wharf, in Shoreham harbour. Here are also bonding warehouses, ponds and quays, belonging to W. P. Gorringe, Esq.; also large malting-houses, belonging to Messrs. Vallance, Catt & Co., of Brighton; two corn warehouses, belonging to Messrs. Kidd & Son, of Hove, and Mr. Adams, of Willingdon; also ship-building yards. The coke ovens and manufactory, of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Company are in this parish. The mouth of Shoreham harbour is in the centre of the parish. The population in 1861 was 93, and the area is 799 acres.
Letters through Shoreham, which is the nearest money order office
London, Brighton & South Coast Railway Wharfingers' Office, James Miller, wharfinger
Railway Station, Benjamin Ford, station clerk
Gorringe William Pennington, esq.
Townsend Rev. Charles, M.A. [rector]
Holland George William Flowers, Kingston hotel
Harman John, sail maker
London Brighton & South Coast Railway Wharfingers' Office, James Miller, wharfinger
Jupp William, grocer
May & Thwaites, ship builders
Miller Rupert, sail maker
Tooth & Co. timber merchants