From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
JEVINGTON is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, union of Eastbourne, hundred of Willingdon, rape and rural deanery of Pevensey, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, and diocese of Chichester, 5 miles south-west from Hailsham, 10 south-east from Lewes, and 5 from Eastbourne. The village is small: it consists of a few houses, situated in a valley amongst the South Down hills, about half a mile west of the road from Lewes to Eastbourne. The church of St. Andrew is a small ancient structure. The register dates from 1661. The living is a rectory, yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire, and held by the Rev. Henry Thomas Grace, M.A., of Pembroke College, Cambridge, vicar of Westham; the Rev. James Charles T. Dunn, B.A., of Queen's College, Cambridge, is curate. Here is a Parochial school supported by contributions. The area is 2,099 acres, and the population in 1861 was 263.
Parish Clerk, Solomon Thorpe.
Letters through Eastbourne, which is the nearest money order office
Parochial School, Miss Martha Gladman, mistress
Dunn Rev. James Charles Tracey, B.A. [curate]
Clay William, racehorse trainer
Dumbrell John, shopkeeper
Filder William Martin, farmer
Goldsmith Herbert, wheelwright
Noakes Louisa (Mrs.), farmer
Reed John, farmer, Street farm
Seymour Mary (Mrs.), Eight Bells
Thomas George, miller, Wannock
Thomas Henry, market gardener, Wannock