From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
HANGLETON is a small parish, 4 miles north-east from Shoreham, which is its post town, one mile north from the Portslade station on the Brighton and South Coast Railway, 3 miles north-west from Brighton and 52 from London, containing but one farmhouse and a few cottages, in the Eastern division of the county, Fishergate hundred, Steyning union, Lewes rape, archdeaconry and rural deanery, Brighton county court district, and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Helen is a small and very ancient structure. The living is a rectory, yearly value £209, in the gift of the Countess De La Warr (Baroness Buckhurst), and held by the Rev. Frederick George Holbrooke. The Countess De La Warr (Baroness Buckhurst), is the lady of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is chalk, with the subsoil of same. The Chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, and pasture. The area is 1,318 acres, and the population in 1861 was 51.
Letters through Shoreham delivered at 9 a.m. The nearest office for dispatch is at Portslade, which closes at 7 p.m. Portslade is the nearest money order office.
Hardwick Alfred, farmer