From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
GLYNDE is a parish, in which is the Glynde railway station, on the Lewes and Hastings line, 53 miles from London, 3 south-east from Lewes, in the Eastern division of the county, Ringmer hundred, Pevensey rape, West Firle union, Lewes county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, diocese of Chichester, a peculiar of Canterbury, and rural deanery of Rype. It derives its name from the old Saxon word glen, or valley. The church is in the Grecian style, and was erected in 1765. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £120, with residence and ten acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, who are also impropriators of the great tithes, yearly value £140; the Rev. William de St. Croix, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, is the incumbent. On Mount Caburn, a high point on the Downs, are the remains of an earthwork, supposed to be Roman. Glynde Place is an ancient mansion, the seat of the Right Hon. Henry Bouverie William Brand, M.P. The area is 1,569 acres, and the population in 1861 was 321.
RANSCOMBE is one mile west.
Parish Clerk, John Harris.
POST OFFICE.- Maria Lusted, receiver. Letters arrive from Lewes at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.5 p.m.; on sundays l0.25 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Lewes
Railway Station, Abraham Reeves, station clerk
National School, Miss Ann Moss, mistress
Brand Right Hon. Henry Bouverie William, M.P., J.P. Glynde place
Christie William Langham, esq. J.P. Glyndebourn
De St. Croix Rev. William, M.A. [vicar]
Chantler William, butcher
Holmden Thomas, farmer. Glyndebourn
Lusted & Unstead, carpenters
Lusted Maria (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Page Leonard, shoe maker
Rickman & Co. lime burners, coal merchants &c. & at Lewes
Taylor Spencer, blacksmith
Taylor William, shoe maker
Terry Harriet (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Weller William & Charles, bricklayers
Weller -, butcher
Weller John, shoe maker
Woodman Richard, farmer, Glynde farm