From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
DIDLING is a small parish, about 4 miles from Midhurst, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Dumpford, union, county court district and rural deanery of Midhurst, rape, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The manor was originally held by the Earl of Arundel; it afterwards passed to the Camois family, to whom succeeded the Lewknors: Lord Spencer purchased it in 1807, and it is now the property of Lord Leconfield. The church of St. Andrew (now disused) is a small and curious specimen of the Early Pointed style, with a very remarkable rude oak porch and screen. The registers are included in Treyford. The living is a vicarage, united to Treyford, but both now annexed to Elsted, joint annual value £331, in the gift of the Rev. L. Vernon Harcourt and the Honourable Mrs. Vernon Harcourt, as lessees of the Dean and Chapter of Chichester, and held by the Rev. William Downes Willis M.A., of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The population in 1861 was 85; the acreage is 814.
Parish Clerk, Peter Parsons.
Letters received through Petersfield. The nearest money order office is at Midhurst
Aylwin Charles, farmer
Aylwin Robert (Mrs.), farmer
Challen Job, farmer, Manor farm
Russell Benjamin, ??