From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
BEPTON is a small parish, in the Western division of the county, Easebourne hundred, rape, diocese, and archdeaconry of Chichester, rural deanery, county court district, and union of Midhurst, 3 miles south-west from Midhurst. The manor is first mentioned by the style of Babingtone, in the "Domesday Survey," as part of Hawesford, Earl Roger's share of the Norman Conquest. The mesne lords for some centuries were of the family of Torrell, the heiress of the last of whom married, in 1568, Henry Joceline, who sold it to Viscount Montague, from whose family it passed to that of its present owners. The church is an ancient flint building in the Anglo-Norman style, and has a nave, chancel, and tower. The register commences in 1723. The living is a rectory, annual value £170, with house, in the gift of the Earl of Egmont, and held by the Rev. John Thomas Willis. The Earl of Egmont, together with Edmund Sadler, Esq., are lords of the manor and principal landed proprietors. The population in 1861 was 211; area, 1,224 acres, chiefly arable.
Letters through Midhurst, which is the nearest money order office
Sadler Edmund, esq. Upper house
Turner Mrs. Bepton villa
Willis Rev. John Thomas [rector]
Marshall George, farmer, Lower house
Sadler Edmund, farmer, Upper house