From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
BARLAVINGTON is a parish, 3½ miles south from Petworth, in the Western division of the county, Rotherbridge hundred, Sutton union, rape of Arundel, Petworth county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Midhurst. This manor, the name of which is now pronounced "Barlton," is in "Domesday Survey" written Berleventone ; it was held of Edward the Confessor by allodial tenure: with the honour of Petworth it passed to Josceline of Louvaine, thence to the Percies, and subsequently to a family styled Dawtrey: it at one time formed part of the endowment of Hardham Priory, and was so vested at the Reformation. The church of St. Mary is a small, but very neat structure, and consists of a nave and chancel. The register dates from 1656. The living is a rectory, yearly value £68, in the gift of Anthony John Wright Biddulph, Esq., and held by the Rev. Thomas Brown, M.A., of Queen's College, Cambridge, who resides at Petworth. Burton House and Park, the seat of A. J. W. Biddulph, Esq., are partly in this and partly in the adjoining parish of Burton. In 1861 the population was 136; area, 1,175 acres.
Parish Clerk, James Hack.
Letters through Petworth, which is the nearest money order office