From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
ASHINGTON-cum-BUNCTON is a parish, 49 miles south from London, 4½ north-west from Steyning, in the Western division of the county, West Grinstead hundred, Worthing county court district, rape of Bramber, Thakeham union, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and deanery of Storrington. The ancient chapel of Buncton is open for divine service only six times a year; this has been the custom from time immemorial. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Buncton annexed, the tithes are commuted at £288 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Norfolk, and held by the Rev. Robert Blakiston, M.A., of Queen's College, Oxford. Area, 1,273 acres; the population in 1861 was 234.
Parish Clerk, James Wood.
POST OFFICE.- Alfred Baker, receiver. Letters from Hurstpierpoint arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.40 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Storrington
INSURANCE AGENT.- County Fire, Alfred Baker
Blakiston Rev. Robert, M.A. Rectory
Baker Alfred, grocer & draper
Elliott Edwin, farmer
Humphery Hen. miller, Ashington mills
Peachey Walter, farmer
Skinner Joseph, farmer